Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Reality Check

I just felt the need to write this blog because of the type of week I have had. Before I go any further, I would just like to ask this question of those of you who may take the time to read this blog. Have you ever experienced a week that you were attacked from all different angles or in unimaginable ways that you would have never dreamed of? Well if any of you have let me encourage you. Because that is just the type of week I have had.

The first was being accused of having an unknown motive for making a friend request on Myspace. The next was just a little bit more and hit a lot closer to home but was nothing that was surprising. I have now been accused of being controlling. Evidently I have been controlling a person’s life that I had no clue that I had that much power over. Then today topped it all, I have become needy. Yes there you have it I am a person with an unknown motive, controlling and needy all in one. Now you may ask where I am going with all of this, well I do have a reason for writing this blog and it is not just to vent. I have been pondering about this new enlightenment and have been searching God’s Word for encouragement and guidance in these matters. As a matter of fact after the third accusation God and I took a long walk and an even longer talk.

Then as I was setting here in my home that He has blessed me with searching the Scriptures He lead me to the following and I hope each of you that have had a difficult week or have found yourselves in similar situations will find encouragement in these passages.

One of many things to remember when you feel that you are being attacked is

Luke 21: 13-19 13. This will be your opportunity to bear witness. 14 Settle it therefore in your minds not to meditate beforehand how to answer. 15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which none of your adversaries will be able to withstand or contradict. 16 You will be delivered up even by parents and brothers and relatives and friends, and some of you they will put to death. 17 You will be hated by all for my name’s sake. 18 But not a hair of your head will perish. 19 By your endurance you will gain your lives.

As I read these scriptures Christ reminded me that during these times I should look at them as an opportunity to bear witness of Him by controlling my mouth and not lashing back as Satan would love for me to do. He also goes on to say that not a hair on my head will perish because He is there for me during these times. He even went on to encourage me more in these next scriptures.

John 15: 18-20 18 If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you: A servant is not greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.

Okay, I get that. Yes I love the LORD more than this world, more than anyone of this world will understand. So yes, I can expect persecution because I am His servant and He is my Master. Then there are those that are among your church family that feels the need to be the ones persecuting . Tell me how I am to handle this in Scripture.

Ephesians 4: 25-27 25 Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. 26 Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27 and give no opportunity to the devil.

Ephesians 4: 29-32 29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 31 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

I see here in Scripture Paul was writing to the church people of Ephesus giving practical examples of how church members are to build up the body of Christ. In verse 26 he is telling the believers that we should not be consumed by anger and we should not carry it over to the next day. Then in verse 29 we are to stop the corrupting (negative) talk and start the good (positive) that is building up our brothers and sisters in Christ. Then we see in verse 31 there is a lot of negative we need to stop and start doing as verse 31 says “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Then James goes on to say this about our testing.

James 1: 2-4 2 Count it all joy, my brothers (sisters), when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete lacking in nothing.

Now you may be wondering how you and I can remember and do all these things that the LORD has asked of us. Well let me leave you with this.

Matthew 6: 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

During times of testing let us all seek God, he is there waiting for us to turn to Him in our difficulties. Whether it is friends, the world or even our church family, we can make it through all of these because He has made us that promise.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through HIM who strengthens me.

I will trust Him, He will get me through this week and many more of these kinds of weeks because He tells me He will, and He will also be there for you.

2 comments:

Little Ole Me said...

Well said!

Brother Douglas C McKay Jr said...

Reality Check: It has been nearly a year since your last post. Let your light shine and bring Glory to His name. I know God has been working in your life. Write about it and let the world know.